Monday 19 May 2014

Being Miserable: A Safeguard?

Two friends were sitting yesterday, on a ledge overlooking a small field, gazing into the distance, talking.
One turned to the other:

"What a beautiful day!"

"It is beautiful. But I see clouds forming over on the right."

"Why are you not happy, insouciant at least? You are alive, you have a job, children... and there are no clouds over us - yet."

"I am worried. I am alone, I feel uncertain about my ability to cope with everything on my own. I'm not afraid of dying -- it's getting there that's scary: how to afford to get old nowadays, on my own..."

"Yes, but still: now you are alive, you have children, you have a job... You could be happy, for a moment... Grab the moment"

"Maybe I am afraid of being content just in case it is snatched away from me the next moment..."

"Why would someone snatch away from you what is... Your situation is not transferrable, so there is nothing in it for anyone..."

"Think of it this way: happiness is attractive and someone will want to take it away, pinch it. On the other hand, who would want to steal misery. Being miserable is safe: you don't risk becoming unhappy, you already are! You are safe!"



No comments: