Monday 1 December 2014

"Help, I feel I'm sinking..."

I was speaking to a friend this W-E aboutwhat I think is the rise of loneliness in the world, despite (or in spite of) ll the communication devices we have at our disposal.

HE was much more positive. "You have access to so many people on line. Even the words of a perfect stranger could provide enough comfort. Even if words alone don't mean much, the fact that someone takes the trouble to write them proves we are not alone."

I would like it to be so, but I'm not so sure. I googled the phrase and not much came up in way of support; of course, much of the correspondance will have been done through private messaging I expect.

However, back to the brass tacks: "sinking" usually means something went wrong beforehand.

A stranger can hardly put right whatever went wrong. Often, the only person who right the wrong is the sufferer; I think this is because many of the wrongs are either a matter of perception, or matters that require personal presence and action.



Of course, it would be nice to have someone take the matter in their hands and tell us that it's going to be OK. And regress to childhood....





Which may be better than resorting to temporary chemical relief from the problem -- which does not solve the problem per se.
Don't let the flame go out


No comments: